Attendance Information Page
Absence Reporting Line: (510) 538-8833 extension 9180
OR by emailing a note to the Attendance Office at [email protected]
Every day counts in a child’s education!
Attendance is compulsory by law and is the responsibility of all students and parent/guardians.
Prompt arrival to class is essential for academic success. Missing class for any reason interferes with student progress, since each class contains instructional information or activities that are essential to the student. Every day a student misses school, he/she gets more than two days behind his peers, because he/she must make up missed learning and catch up with new learning at the same time. Every day a student is in school, he/she benefits from direct instruction and raises his/her chances to score well on fundamental testing while learning a valuable lesson in the life skill of responsibility. Absences, excused or not, also take away valuable funding from our school.
Parents/legal guardians must contact the school EVERY day a student has/will miss his/her assigned classes. EACH absence(s), including the reason for the absence, must be verified by the parents/legal guardians within 72 hours of the absence or the absence will be permanently changed to an “unexcused absence.”
How do I verify my student’s absence?
Absences can be verified by calling the Absence Reporting Line at (510) 538-8833 extension 9180 OR by emailing a note to the Attendance Office at [email protected] All messages and notes related to absences must be processed by the Attendance Office.
The following information is required for messages and notes:
- Name of the Student (please include the spelling of the name when leaving voice message) and grade level.
- Date(s) of the absence. (When reporting a partial day, such as 0 period, please include the class period that was/will be absent from school.)
- Specific reason for absence(s). PLEASE INCLUDE IF YOUR STUDENT HAS HAD A FEVER RELATED TO THIS ABSENCE. (If a reason for the absence(s) is not given, the absence(s) will be considered a “miscellaneous” reason which is not excused.)
- Caller's name and relationship to the student.
- Caller’s daytime telephone number should we have questions.
An automatic attendance phone-dialer, working in conjunction with our attendance records, will attempt to make calls to the primary phone number on the evening whenever an absence(s) were are not verified. Failure to verify the absence(s) within 72 hours will result in the student receiving an unexcused absence(s) and possible truancy consequences.
A doctor note(s) are required for reported illnesses of 3 or more consecutive days (and/or in excess of 10 or more days within a school year) upon the student’s return to school.
Please read the H.E.A.L Health Flyer For Parents which offers helpful ideas and suggested guidelines regarding student attendance.
What absences/tardies are excused?
Verified absences when reported within 72 hours of the absence and as defined by California Education Code 48205.
Understanding Attendance Codes
If no code is shown in Aeries, it means your student is present.
Independent Study Contracts
In order to maximize student achievement and social/emotional growth and in accordance with California Education Code, it is expected that students will attend school every day. However, family situations do arise which necessitate emergency travel. When these rare situations arise, families may arrange a Short Term Independent Study Contract with the school. A short-term Independent Study contract is a voluntary alternative to a regular classroom program of instruction and is appropriate for unavoidable emergency absence of no fewer than five (5) and not more than ten (10) consecutive school days . Independent study for family vacations or leisure travel that can occur during school breaks is strongly discouraged, since independent study cannot replicate the classroom instructional experience. You can pick up a Short Term Independent Study Contract from the attendance office.
A completed Short Term Independent Study Contract must be submitted to the main office or attendance office 10 school days in advance, signed by a parent/guardian, prior to the absence. The contract must include the dates of absences, return to school date, and reason for the request. The absence duration should be as brief as possible, as absences of more than a few days will negatively impact student learning. All requests must be approved by site administration. Parents should pick up all assigned work on the last day of attendance prior to the trip. Once the student returns to school, all completed work must be turned into the House Office or Attendance Office before the student returns to class. If the student does not complete all assigned work, future requests may be denied. Independent Study contracts at the end of the school year must be completed no later than fifteen school days prior to the last day of school. Independent Study contracts cannot be established during the first 10 days of the school year or the last 15 days of school.
Note: If a student on an IEP is requesting a Short Term Independent Study Contract, the Program Specialist must be notified immediately so that appropriate IEP documentation can be determined.
Due to safety concerns, we will not accept phone calls to release your student during the school day.
To request early release for your student, you may:
● Send a handwritten note with your student to obtain an off-campus pass on the day of the early release, they are to bring it to the office first thing in the morning. Please include student’s full name, specific time to be released, reason for early release, and parent/guardian signature (or name and relationship of person releasing the student if other than parent/guardian)
● If a handwritten note was not sent in, the parent/guardian must come to the Front Office with photo ID (there may be a delay in releasing your student, as they will need to be located and brought to the office). Please remember that students will not be released to any persons who is not listed on the emergency contacts list in Aeries and does not have a photo ID.